The new 2022 GMC Sierra the most advanced and luxurious ever, according to GMC.
The Sierra lineup, led by the new Denali Ultimate trim, offers the most advanced and luxuriously appointed Denali model ever.
Accompanying the Denali Ultimate is the first-ever Sierra AT4X — a new peak of premium off-road performance with serious capability and uncompromising refinements.
The 2022 Sierra features an elevated exterior design and all-new, expressive interiors, with enhanced technology integration, including a large, 13.4-inch-diagonal touchscreen with Google built-in compatibility.
Other new elements include a refreshed grille and revised headlamp design featuring expressive lighting animation when approaching, starting or walking away from the vehicle.
A new, unique interior design includes a cockpit-oriented instrument panel along with a new, more functional center console that features electronic precision shift on models with front bucket seats.
The new, larger 13.4-inch-diagonal color touchscreen is complemented with a new 12.3-inch-diagonal configurable digital instrument cluster and 15-inch-diagonal multicolor Head-Up Display to provide more than 40 diagonal inches of digital display, the most in its class.
Sierra Denali Ultimate offers exclusive design and premium materials, along with technologies including trailering-capable Super Cruise driver-assistance technology and a standard 420-horsepower, 6.2L V-8 engine.
The all-new AT4X trim offers an exclusive premium interior and advanced off-road capability. Features such as Multimatic DSSV dampers, front and rear e-lockers and Terrain Mode with one-pedal crawling, deliver excellent on-road comfort and trailering capability.
Plus, a new 2.7L Turbo High-Output engine offers greater refinement, performance and enhanced trailering capability.
First-Ever Sierra Denali Ultimate
The first-ever Sierra Denali Ultimate trim takes the popular Denali sub-brand to an even higher threshold of capable luxury.
Unique exterior styling cues, along with exclusive interior trim and features, are complemented with more standard equipment — including available trailering-capable Super Cruise and the segment-exclusive CarbonPro composite cargo box, offering best-in-class short-bed cargo volume.
The Denali Ultimate is distinguished by an exterior featuring a unique grille in exclusive Vader Chrome, along with exclusive 22-inch wheels, finished in Low Gloss Black with machined accents, Vader Chrome GMC logo and a unique front fender trim featuring Mount Denali.
Also, standard are GMC’s six-way MultiPro tailgate, the Denali Premium Suspension with segment-exclusive Adaptive Ride Control, and power assist steps.
The Alpine Umber interior builds on the already luxurious Denali cabin, with full-grain leather appointments and open-pore Paldao wood trim. The wood’s darkened finish creates a distinctive color blend, while the unique graining adds bespoke detail.
Additional content includes:
- Full-grain leather-wrapped door panels with etched stainless-steel speaker grilles and console lid
- Full-grain leather front and rear seats with the Denali Ultimate badge on the front seatbacks
- All-new 16-way power-adjustable and massaging front seats
- All-new 12-speaker Bose Premium audio with Center Point surround technology and AudioPilot and Richbass woofer
- Rear Camera Mirror, with full camera display
- 15-inch-diagonal multicolor Head-Up Display
Embossed and laser-etched across the interior are a number of topographical maps of the summit of Mount Denali, the highest peak in North America.
These maps can be found laser-etched on to the open-pore Paldao wood on the front passenger-side dashboard, in the full-grain leather on the front and back of the front seats, rear seat and door panels, as well as on the exterior fender vent badges.
Under the hood, Sierra Denali Ultimate’s standard engine is GMC’s 420-hp, 6.2L V-8 matched with a 10-speed automatic transmission featuring Electronic Precision Shift. Four-wheel drive, with an electronically controlled two-speed transfer case, is standard.
Sierra AT4X: the new peak in premium off-roading
The Sierra AT4X delivers a balanced execution of advanced off-road capability without compromising the on-road comfort, tech, towing, and payload capability expected from a premium pickup.
AT4X Highlights include:
- Standard 6.2L V-8 engine and 10-speed automatic transmission
- Unique springs with Multimatic dampers with increased maximum front and rear suspension travel, compared with the standard AT4 suspension
- Two-speed transfer case, with selectable modes including Terrain Mode, which allows one-pedal rock crawling
- Front and rear e-locking differentials
- Specific off-road chassis and suspension calibrations
- Unique, larger steel transfer case shield
- 18-inch black wheels with LT265/70R18 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Mud-Terrain tires
Inside, a unique, luxury-focused AT4X Obsidian Rush interior balances the off-roader’s capability with comfort and convenience. The cabin is awash with premium leather, including full-grain leather-wrapped and technical grain leather accents, all of which is highlighted with white piping and red stitching.
Also featured are authentic, dark Vanta ash wood trim, 16-way power-adjustable and massaging front seats, premium microsuede headliner, 15-inch-diagonal Head-Up Display, power sliding rear window, power sunroof, a 12-speaker Bose Premium audio system and more.
AT4X’s payload capability is 1,420 pounds and its trailering rating is 8,900 pounds.
Sierra Lineup – Elevated design inside and out
In addition to the distinctive design cues of the Sierra Denali Ultimate and Sierra AT4X, the other six trim levels of the 2022 offer elevated styling and design updates, inside and out.
- Revised front bumper, fascia, grille designs and finishes
- New dual-projector LED headlamps and a revised execution of GMC’s signature C-shaped daytime running lamps
- Animated lighting sequences that activate when approaching, starting or walking away from the truck
- New wheel designs on SLT and Denali
- Three new optional exterior colors: Titanium Rush Metallic, Dynamic Blue Metallic and Desert Sand Metallic
Inside, Sierra is set apart from the competition with unique, new interiors on SLE, Elevation and SLT trims, as well as unique premium interior designs for AT4, AT4X, Denali and Denali Ultimate trims.
Additional interior highlights include:
- All-new 13.4-inch-diagonal horizontal infotainment touchscreen and (standard on SLE trim and above)
- A new center console design with all-new Electronic Precision Shift
- Available Elevation Premium Package with Jet-Black leather-appointed bucket seats, rear seat with storage, Sierra Safety Plus Package, spray-on bedliner and more
The customizable 13.4-inch-diagonal horizontal touchscreen, along with a 12.3-inch-diagonal digital, configurable instrument cluster allow customers to prioritize their views and even have two areas of information, to display navigation and trailering details simultaneously. Or, the customer can choose full-screen navigation, entertainment or other options.
Additionally, Sierra comes with Google built-in compatibility (standard on all trims except Pro). With it, many of a user’s favorite phone features are available in the vehicle through the infotainment system, including Google Maps, Google Assistant and Google Play. With Google Assistant, drivers can use their voice to get directions, play their favorite podcasts, control vehicle functions and more, allowing drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
Google built-in is compatible with both Apple and Android devices, working with and complementing existing connectivity features such as wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as available Amazon Alexa (standard on SLE trim and above).
The 2022 Sierra enhanced 2.7L Turbo High-Output engine features:
- Torque estimated at 420 lb.-ft. — a more than 20 percent increase over the current engine
- Higher maximum trailering ratings of 9,600 pounds with 2WD models and 9,300 pounds with 4WD models
- Shift scheduling revisions with the 2.7L Turbo’s eight-speed automatic transmission deliver quicker downshifts, for a greater feeling of power on demand.
The 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel features chassis changes that now allow inclusion of the max tow package. It delivers 277 horsepower and 460 lb.-ft. of torque. Mated to the 10-speed automatic, it has a max tow rating of 13,200 pounds — a 4,000-pound improvement over the 2021 Sierra.
Also available are the proven 5.3L V-8 and the 6.2L V-8 with Dynamic Fuel Management and matched a 10-speed automatic transmission.
Super Cruise and Trailering
Super Cruise hands-free driver assistance technology is standard on Sierra Denali Ultimate. It is the industry’s first true hands-free driver-assistance technology for compatible roads, and it can be used on more than 200,000 miles of compatible roads in the U.S.
Trailering-capable Super Cruise adds to Sierra’s class-leading roster of trailering assistance technologies, which include up to 14 available camera views, including Transparent Trailer, GCW Alert, in-vehicle trailering app and more. The new GCW Alert will signal when the maximum weight the Sierra can safely carry is exceeded and signal when the vehicle may be overloaded. In addition, Trailer Side Blind Zone Alert, accounts for the length of the trailer when changing lanes.
When and How Much?
The refreshed GMC Sierra arrives in first quarter of 2022. Customers can place reservations starting now at www.gmc.com/future-vehicles/2022-sierra/
MSRP, including destination charges are
- Denali Ultimate – $80,395
- AT4X – $74,995
- Denali -$61,295
- AT4 – $60,995
- SLT – $50,895
- Elevation – $45,495
- SLE – $43,895
- Sierra Pro – $32,495.
Source: General Motors GMC brand press release