Earlier this year, Chevrolet and American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) formally announced their collaboration to produce certain extreme performance parts for the Colorado Z71 and ZR2 models. As we anticipated in our earlier reporting, they have taken that a step further with the announcement that a Bison version of the ZR2 – incorporating those elements – will be available from Chevrolet in 2019.
The Colorado ZR2 – as equipped before the Bison upgrade – is a credible rock crawler, narrow track trail and desert runner already. For 2019, it gets really serious ‘chops’.
The 2019 Colorado ZR2 Bison – in addition to the standard (or available) performance elements that make the ZR2 a serious rock crawler, narrow track trail and desert runner already, as the Bison edition, will now be customized with the following:
- Exclusive flow-through ‘CHEVROLET’ lettered grille replacing the standard bow-tie.
- Five hot-stamped Boron steel skid plates to protect the oil pan, fuel tank, transfer case and both front and real locking differentials.
- AEV-design stamped steel front and rear bumpers with standard fog lights and provision for power winch at the front and recovery points integrated in the rear.
- AEV ZR2 Bison unique 17×8 inch aluminum wheels mounted with 31-inch Goodyear Duratrac off-road tires.
- AEV ZR2 Bison Injection Molded High-Clearance Fender Flares
- ‘Bison’ decals on bedsides, ‘AEV Bsion’ tailgate logo and AEV-logo floor liners and AEV headrests.
Also available for optional installation at AEV or a GM dealership will be the AEV-design snorkel for air filtration in dusty environments.
The 2019 Colorado ZR2 Bison will be powered by the 3.6L V6 gasoline engine or the available 2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel – both mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission.
Other performance features on the Colorado ZR2 include:
- Aggressive styled hood with black insert
- 5-inch wider wheel tracks
- Lifted suspension with 2-inch higher ground clearance
- Front and rear locking differentials
- Multimatic Dynamic Suspension Spool Valve Damper (DSSV)
- Trailering Package with integrated brake controller and Active Tow
- Available bed-mounted spare tire carrier with full-size spare
The ZR2 Bison will be available in crew cab and extended cab configurations.
Watch the 2019 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison in action in this clip from AEV:
Pricing for the 2019 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison will not be available until closer to launch. The 2018 Colorado ZR2 Crew Cab off-roader with the V6 powerplant has an MSRP of $43,295. We would expect some upcharge for the AEV performance elements of a ZR2 Bison model.
The ZR2 Bison will be covered by the full factory limited warranty.
Learn more about the complete 2018 Chevrolet Colorado lineup by going here: https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/colorado-mid-size-truck
AEV offers a variety of extreme performance modified vehicles and accessories. Read more about the full line of AEV conversions here: https://www.aev-conversions.com/