I didn’t put one of them on my list last year because they are all sedans or coupes and I need to be able to haul up to seven friends and/or family (sort of like elves only bigger) plus cargo (you call them presents) comfortably and safely night or day. I had heard rumors that the Dodge brothers were crafting a little something more like I wanted in their shop – so I decided to be patient and wait.
I was glad I waited, because Dodge has released the new Dodge Durango SRT 392 AWD SUV that the Dodge brothers say can run with your reindeer all day and all night, carry all my friends and their stuff and, best yet, will be available come Christmas.
Wanting to be sure it was what I wanted and – before I ‘officially’ put it on my list – I got my friends at Dodge brand to lend me one for a week.
In the spirit of the season, they were even so kind as to send me one in Octane Red Pearl Coat paint with Black Nappa/suede leather seating trimmed in silver accents and SRT embroidered in the seat backs. A little bit like the Red color and custom leather-work on your sleigh. Then to be sure they delivered what I wanted, they add a few of their available packages for good measure.
So I got out my check-list of the stuff I wanted to be sure it had – and have checked it twice.
Durango SRT Performance List
The new 2018 Dodge Durango SRT is loaded with performance features that make it America’s fastest, most powerful and most capable three-row SUV. Only Santa’s sleigh (also a three-row) is faster and hauls more.
- HEMI 6.4L 392-cubic-inch V-8 that produces 475 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft. of torque and delivers 4.4 second 0-60 mph with NHRA Certified 12.9-second quarter-mile time performance
- 180-mph speedometer
- Unique functional SRT hood with cold-air duct and heat extractors to cool the engine and improve overall performance
- TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters – specifically calibrated for the Dodge Durango SRT- optimizes shift points and delivers maximum torque to all four wheels
- Electronic T-shifter provides driver with intuitive gear selection with an Auto Stick selector gate for added control
- SRT Track Experience App and Software Package
- SRT seven-mode drive system (Auto, Sport, Track, Snow, Tow, Valet and ECO) for the driver to precisely adjust drive settings to maximize performance or comfort
- Sport Mode reduces shift times by up to 50 percent versus Auto Mode and delivers up to 65 percent of the 392 HEMI engine’s torque to the rear wheels
- Track Mode delivers maximum track performance with 160-millisecond shifts and up to 70 percent of engine torque to the rear wheels for the most pronounced rear-wheel-drive experience
- Tow Mode enables class leading towing up to 8,700 pounds
- Trailer Tow Group with rear load leveling shocks
- SRT tuned high-performance exhaust note similar to the distinctive sound of the Dodge Charger SRT
- Performance-tuned Quadra-Trac Active on Demand AWD system
- Sophisticated Active Damping System opens/closes the high-performance suspension’s damper valves, according to which of the seven drive modes is chosen
- Stiffer front (3 percent) and stiffer rear springs (16 percent) with stiffer rear sway bar (18 percent) enhances high-speed cornering capability
- Massive Brembo high-performance six-piston (front) and four-piston (rear) calipers with vented rotors at all four corners – 15 inches (front-slotted) and 13.8 inches (rear) – deliver 115-foot 60-0 mph stops
- Uniquely styled 20-inch wheels mounted with Pirelli 295/45ZR20 Scorpion Verde all-season tires or available Pirelli P Zero three-season tires
On the Inside
- Performance Laguna leather and carbon fiber trim offered for the first time in a Durango
- Premium interior appointments, including a hand-wrapped instrument panel with live silver accent stitch
- Available Demonic Red Laguna leather seating
- SRT flat-bottom performance steering wheel with SRT paddle shifters
- Heated and ventilated front and heated second-row captain’s chairs with embossed SRT logos
- True carbon-fiber instrument panel and door bezels
- Suede-wrapped headliner and A pillars
- Premium velour bound floor mats with embroidered SRT logo
- Uconnect 4C NAV with 8.4-inch display
- Beats Premium Audio
- CarPlay and Android Auto Capable
On the Outside
- Wide body exterior enhances the Durango SRT performance SUV look
- Rear body-color lower fascia with Gloss Black accent surrounding 4-inch dual round exhaust tips finished in Nickel Chrome
- Low Beam HID with auto on/off and auto leveling headlamps
- Premium LED foglamps, LED daytime running lamps
- Automatic rain-sensing windshield wipers
- Power liftgate
- Remote Start
Put the SRT on my Christmas list
Looks like the new 2018 Dodge Durango SRT 392 (exactly like the one they loaned us) checks all the boxes for me.
Consider it officially on my Christmas list for this year. I checked the factory – they have one polished and ready to go. And Santa, I will leave the light on for you. You will need the garage door code though – it is BR549.
Don’t rev the exhaust rolling in please, you will wake the neighbor and he will be seriously jealous on seeing the Durango SRT – knowing that he is only getting a new bowling ball, flannel shirt and fishing rod with assorted lures for Christmas this year.
For the Record
The 2018 Dodge Durango SRT 392 that Dodge loaned us, with its big HEMI power train, full complement of track performance capability plus premium convenience features and amenities – had a base price of $62,995.
Those options we mentioned included a Power Sun Roof ($1,195); Second Row Console with Armrest Storage USB and 12-volt power points ($495); Second Row CD/Blue-Ray Video system ($1,995); SRT Interior Appearance Group that includes carbon fiber interior accents, premium wrapped instrument panel and Dinamica soft-touch headliner ($1,500); Technology Group featuring Adaptive Cruise Control with full stop, Full Speed Forward Collision Warning, Lane Departure control, Advanced Brake Assist, Blind Spot and Rear Cross Path Detection ($2,495), Trailer Tow Group including full-size spare tire ($995) and 20×10-inch Low Gloss Black Multi-Spoke Wheels with Pirelli P295/45ZR20 Scorpion Verde performance tires ($595).
With delivery, this 2018 Dodge Durango SRT 392 AWD will price ‘under my tree’ at $73,360.
Added Bonus (stocking stuffer)
Everyone buying the 2018 Dodge Durango SRT gets a full-day session on how to drive it (probably a good idea) at the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving.
Read more about the 2018 Dodge Durango SRT 392 by clicking here: https://www.dodge.com/durango/srt.html